Who makes this stuff and where is it made?
My name is Asphyxia and I am an individual artist working from my studio at the Abbotsford Convent in Melbourne, Australia. My partner, Paula Dowse, works with me. The artworks and ideas are mine, though I often bounce off Paula when I'm coming up with a new concept. Paula does anything involving building and sawing, and she's in charge of shipping too.
Is it ethical to buy from you?
We do everything we can to minimise my impact on the environment and involvement in the mass market. While we do need to buy some essential supplies and tools new, we upcycle whenever possible, and often the wear and tear from old items brings an authenticity to the pieces I make. For example:
- Paula is a world-class scavenger and collects bits of wood from the hard rubbish in our neighbourhood. She turns these into substrates which I paint on, and builds me display systems for my gallery/shop at the Abbotsford Convent.
- I source fabrics and found objects from thrift stores, often using these as the basis for my artworks.
- Paula collects white house paint from the tip shop and sometimes the side of the road. I add small amounts of commercial pigments to create colours I use in most of my paintings. This makes the commercial products go a long way, and saves chemicals from landfill.
- For packaging and shipping, Paula usually creates wrappings from waste paper and cardboard that she collages together, adding leftover bits of art and paint from my studio, to create unique and beautiful mail art.
How do you ship and long will it take to get my order?
When I receive your order, I bring your items home from my studio and give them to Paula, who will pack and post them. Since Paula works with upcycled materials, every package is unique, and it can take her a few days to ensure it is securely wrapped. She will then take it to the post office next time she goes, and send it via Australia Post. She posts roughly twice a week. Since we are both busy with making, It can take up to a week for your order to get to the post office. Once it's there, it can take another week for it to get to you if you are in Australia, and ten to twenty days if you are overseas. The days of overnight delivery from Australia Post seem to be over, sadly.
Please contact me if it's urgent and I'll do my best to accommodate!
Very occasionally a parcel goes astray - for this reason I recommend that you use the Registered Mail shipping upgrade, especially for items over $50. I cannot take responsibility for items lost in the mail - you will need to use your tracking number to address this with Australia Post.
Our packages usually arrive looking very interesting and appealing, so if you are buying secretly for someone in your household, be sure to tell us so Paula knows to wrap it with boring packaging!
What payment options do you offer?
You are welcome to pay via paypal or bank deposit for online purchases, or in cash or with a credit card if you pick up your item from my gallery/shop/studio at the Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne, Australia.
Pick ups are welcome - make an appointment by texting me on +61408787582. No voice calls please as I am deaf!
I also welcome layby / payment plans. Just email me and tell me:
- What you'd like to buy.
- How much you can afford to pay in each instalment.
- Whether you'd like to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
For commissions, I will need payment in full before I schedule and start your work.
Do you accept commissions?
Yes. You can find out more here.
Refunds and Exchanges
I will offer a refund if you are unsatisfied with your product - please return it to me at your own expense. If the item is damaged I am also happy to refund - just let me know what your issue is. I cannot refund/replace items lost in the mail - it is your responsibility to upgrade to Registered Mail and to take this up with Australia Post if it doesn't arrive.